Friday, February 02, 2007

Philosophy

I got up this morning and went to take a shower. Somebody didn't put that little tab down that switches the water from the shower head to the bathtub spout. Cold. Water. 6:30 am. Wet and dying. Cold water all over my head and shoulders. That woke me up a bit faster than usual. I'd meant to take a shower, but I prefer to be fully in the shower and not still in my pajamas when the dousing happens. After that I thought to myself, "I hate the world. Today sucks." Then a small smile played across my face, as I realized that there was no possible way for me to hate this day, no matter how terrible its course of events. Today is Groundhog Day.

Our family has the tradition of watching Groundhog Day every year. We drink root beer floats. We get up and dance during the credits to the weatherman song. I love this day. It's second only to Canada Day in my estimation. I love Phil. Both Phils. I love Ned and Larry. I love them all. I love hearing that ridiculous Sonny and Cher song over and over and over again, seeing Phil kill himself a lot (I wasn't just blown up yesterday), and the fact that I know the whole bit that plays on the radio each morning. "That's right woodchuck chuckers, it's...Groundhog Day!"



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I called home and mom's first question was "are you watching Groundhog's Day?" I had watched it a couple days before on tv...ooops. Why do they show it a couple days before? I was duped!

Keith said...

Oh yes, it was fun. It's an unofficial tradition where I come from. More or less it just happens and no one thinks about it... now that I'm thinking about it. Cept for the rootbeer floats part. ha!

ahem. said...

I have a groundhog patty in my refrigerator. Any ideas about where that came from?