Sunday, January 21, 2007

Sock Mail

I found a piece of mail on the table that was addressed to me from my mom. I opened it and found that she had mailed me a sock. No note or anything. This amused me to no end - just the sight of one lonely used sock inside an envelope really tickled my fancy. Imagine - mailing a sock of all things. It made me wonder what else I could conceivably get away with dropping in the mail. There’s a logical explanation behind it, which is that when I was home I accidentally left a bag of clothes behind, and when I called my mom to tell her I’d gotten back safely she asked if I’d meant to donate the bag to D.I.? I told her no, that they were in fact my two favorite shirts in the world, and I needed them sent to me please. I received that package a few days ago – my two shirts, a tank top, and one purple sock, all wrapped around my copy of Wait Until Dark. The thing I liked most about the package was that as I was opening it and taking stock of what was inside I thought to myself that there was a good chance my mom would have sewn up the hole under the right arm of my Batman shirt. Sure enough, the hole was gone, and I was happy to have predicted this move on her part. I had no idea she would think to mail me the second sock though, because I myself did not notice its absence.

My socks rarely match -maybe 15% of the time are they the same color, and sometimes they are egregiously different height-wise as well as managing to differ in texture and pattern. I usually don’t take care to wear a matching pair because nobody really sees my socks. If I’ve just done my laundry I might be able to conjure up two of a kind, but I don't think it's worth the effort most of the time.

2 comments:

Keith said...

I've always been fond of the sock thing and there's no real explaination why. It's just... nice.

Roger_Paw said...

as silly as this sounds, i'm now inspired to mail random stuff to family and friends. i only use email these days so a snail mail goodie sounds perfect!