Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Glory Glory Hallelujah

Just yesterday I had the thought "the world wasn't made with us pale people in mind." I think this was me thinking back to the other night at the hospital cafe where Mustacheboy and I compared our flesh to see who was paler. I won. Apparently he'd never lost before. Well, neither have I, and I think that my winning streak is going to continue for some time.

I don't care for the sunshine; never have in fact. Being from the Northwest does that to a person. If I had things my way it'd be 65 and overcast every day. Being here in Utah really throws me sometimes. When I first got here the sunlight was blinding and my eyes watered every time I set foot out of doors. But on days like today when the clouds hang low and hide the mountains I can imagine that I'm in Portland. Don't look at the mountains and you could be home.

When I awoke to the sound of the rain it filled me with joy. I instantly felt at home with that trickling noise outside my window, and I realized what a difference the weather makes. I also realized that it's odd I don't feel that way all of the time considering my surroundings. I looked around my room today and took stock of my situation - I was on a bunk bed next to a cement wall with a window in a disheveled room with wood paneling. Hmmm. That's exactly what my room looked like at home. Why did I never realize that before now? It took the rain to make the scene complete.

So I felt incredibly blessed when it rained today. Thank goodness it rained today. Walking to work I uttered an audible "Thank You." I'm not quite sure to who - probably to God. I'm pretty sure He controls that sort of thing.

I went to work late and when I signed out my keys my friend commented that I was tardy.

me: I know. The weather was just too nice today, I didn't want to come in.

She laughed, but it was because she's from Washington and knew I meant exactly what I said. Everywhere I heard people talking about the weather, saying things like "it's really bad out there "and "it's freezing today. Yeah, it was like fifty degrees this morning!" and I just laughed at them with my eyes.

I walked to work in my usual jeans and short sleeved t-shirt as I ate my morning otter pop. Lime today. I did have an umbrella though, which is very uncharacteristic of a true Oregonian. I don't mind walking home in the rain, but getting soaked on the way to work is a different matter - I think it'd be kind of counterproductive to get to work and spend the whole time mopping up after myself.

Work was more than a little frustrating, mainly because I hated everyone and everything for some reason or another. I hated the way people straightened chairs, the fact that some of the people straightening chairs stopped working for no reason and left the rest of us in the lurch, and mostly I hated the fact that after we'd straightened the chairs it was decided that they needed to be taken down. It was then that I started thinking about how I've been at my job for too long. It was also then that I looked over and saw my boss's boss stacking chairs alongside the rest of us, and seeing that softened me. This woman just lost her brother. And the day of the funeral she was in at work getting her reports in, authorizing our paychecks so somebody else wouldn't have to be bothered. She has bad knees and never takes vacation time. And I wondered when it was that I became so embittered, cynical, and apathetic. I know the how. The how involves vomit, gum, immigration, C-clamps, back pain, duct tape, butter pats, sleep deprivation, and rows upon rows of crooked chairs that will never be made straight no matter how many times you straighten them. That's the how. The when is more complicated, and I don't know that I'll ever be able to pinpoint it.

When I left work it was with a piece of watermelon in my hand. It's something I've always wanted to do - eat watermelon in the rain. My hand was numb by the time I got down to the rind, and I walked homeward thinking about the restorative powers of rain and watermelon and wondered why I live in this state.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was pouring rain here in S. Carolina and they called it a tropical storm. Very dramatic,everyone was driving 10 below the speed limit. I miss the Oregonians that drive in the ruts and splash the roads and unsuspecting pedestrians, here they swerve to go around the puddles. No fun at all.

-Boney M

F claims that we as a family have sensitive eyes. I agree, the sunn still seems to bother me more than most. You may have to invest in some stylin' shades if you wish to live in that blessed state of the mountains and sunshine

Thirdmango said...

whoa, you and I have the exact same opinions on the weather, which is weird because I grew up in Utah and I dislike Utah weather during the summer usually.

Though funny story, my roommate doesn't like the air conditioner on because of the money factor but I can't stand the heat, so the day before it rained, that hot day, I went in and my apartment was sweltering, so I gave him 20 bucks to not touch the air conditioner this month.

-"Crazy" Jon

Brooklyn said...

Jon: Good job! Good job!! My roommates last summer made us go without a/c for two weeks and it was the worst two weeks of my life. I was in a constant state of "bad mood."

Genuine: Those butter pats are really a thorn in your side, aren't they?

LJ said...

To the Genuine: I like how you pay attention to the little things and then write about them. And I trekked for six blocks in the rain the other day and found it quite restorative. Granted, the subway ride back was a little too chilly for my taste, but it was worth it.

To the Jon: I once paid my little brother $20 to move a couch for me.

Anonymous said...

I have the family sensitive eyes as well. Mom claims we get it from Dad. But I'm going to have to agree with you when it comes to walking in the rain. If you have somewhere you have to go, it sucks because then you spend the rest of your day soaked and miserable...but if you have no place in particular you're heading, taking a stroll in a storm is amazing.

-A