Thursday, March 08, 2007

Je n'ai pas besoin d'un parapluie

I thought that yesterday was nice weather-wise, because the sun was out and it was T-shirt weather for once. My coworker and I got to cut up a refrigerator box and sweep the south dock, which was a lot more fun than it might sound. Using our exacto knives we cut out all the cool phrases we could find on the box and kept them. Mine I'm going to turn into refrigerator magnets, which I think is very appropriate. So we worked and we talked and we stood in the sun and we sang familiar songs, tweaking the lyrics to make them about custodial work. We're contemplating performing a medley at the Moppies in April.

Best of all, it rained last night, and the air was perfumed with that wonderful scent of soil, the smell of wet dirt that I will never get over no matter how long I live. I only thought it had been nice out until that happened.The rain made it beautiful, making me miss home. And this morning it continued raining. It was overcast. I was ecstatic.

When I set out for class this morning it was only sprinkling, but then it really started up and it was glorious. Living in the northwest you learn to walk with your head at such an angle that your glasses don't get wet, but today I didn't care. In fact, I even thought to slow down a bit and enjoy being outside in it. I waited at the crosswalk longer than I needed to in order to soak it all up. I hope it stays like this for awhile. It probably won't, but that's okay. This rain has signaled the coming of Spring, which means road trips, playing croquet, and all sorts of things. Man alive I'm excited.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The word for that sweet smell after it rains is "petrichor." Technically, it means the smell of the earth after the season's first rain but I think it applies more often that that!

http://wordsmith.org/words/petrichor.html (this is how I first learned the word and it's one of my favorites!)

http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-pet2.htm