Monday, November 27, 2006

Living a delicious twinkie filled lie ...I mean, life!

I am now a media arts studies pre-major, and it's a wonderful feeling. I have an answer for when I'm pressed about my plans and goals, and while I still don't actually have any idea what I want, I at least have a very convenient lie. Oh, me? Why yes, I have picked a major! Unfortunately there's only a very slim chance that I'll even be considered for this major, but at least up until the point when I'm rejected I'll have a good cover.

I had to speak in sacrament meeting yesterday, and I was terrified, as I always am when faced with speaking on a subject I know nothing about, or even subjects that I do know something about, but few sacrament talks are given on windmills, the proper way to cook macaroni and cheese, or involve reciting pi, so I didn't really have a great shot at expounding on somthing in my area of expertise. It was combined with two other wards, so the place was packed, and there wasn't a program so I had to wait in suspense, wondering if I would be first. I was. I got up and admitted to being terrified and then went on with my talk. People laughed, in a good way, when I talked about the difference between tetrazzini and a tetrahedron, and afterwards people complimented me sincerely, and all in all it went a lot better than I had expected. All I had been able to do before church was fret and make that weird whining bellowing cry that annoys M-Lite so, but she wasn't there so I made it to comfort myself, and walking to church, my roommate and I fell in with a friend and I all but begged them both to push me into some particularly dense and prickly bushes, the kind that it would take at least an hour to free myself from. And all this long while I was supposed to have been reading "Uncle Tom's Cabin", which was painfully slow reading because all the dialogue is written out as it sounds. I never did finish it, not even halfway, despite my attempt to get up at 4am today to do so.

I talked with my sister H for almost an hour and a half on Sunday - it's surprising how much can happen in a week - and I'm horribly devastated because she's getting back her SAT scores tomorrow, and it will finally prove conclusively that she's smarter than the rest of us in the family, but smarter than M-Lite and me in particular- not that this is her aim, but I'll know in my heart that she's better, and it will be worse than losing at boggle times 12. Possibly times 17 even. I should be happy for her, but I'm a very poor loser, and in more than one sense. Our one comfort is that she isn't mechanically minded at all. I've also decided that I need to come up with a name for her, but nothing has really struck my fancy.

M-Lite cut my hair a little bit on Friday, and all evening all I could do was run my fingers through it so as to get used to it. Well, that's not all I did. I managed to partake of the most glorious confection known to mankind- the toasted twinkie. Toss a twinkie on the grill until it's golden brown (which isn't terribly hard considering that they come golden and all you have to wait for is the browning part) and it's deliciously crispy with a warm creamy center. I don't know how I'll go ever go back to plain ones, except that before this I never ate the plain ones, so maybe I do know how. All I know is that this must definitely become an annual event in order for me to be sated.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've never had a plain twinkie before... that's unpossible!

Genuine Draft said...

No, I have, but I only eat them every couple of years or so - I never seek them out, I just eat them if they happen to be on hand. I've probably eaten less than 20 in my whole life.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you're much healthier then... with the exception of the shrinking and bone creaking n all that jazz...

Anonymous said...

Wait... waitwaitwaitwaitWait.

A life with only infrequent Twinkieage?

Girl, we need to talk.