Tuesday, October 03, 2006

This cake is only for believers

I just wanted to say that the weather has been glorious. Yesterday when it was windy and overcast I felt happy, and then I was sad because I realized that I hadn't been happy before then, but then I was happy because it was cool and dim out, just like it would be at home. And then it rained and Yom Kippur happened.I wasn't expecting it, but I'm glad Flippin called to tell me it was going on. I got to wear a fish tie. I've decided to celebrate every holiday I can get my hands on, for no other reason than that I want to be in a celebratory mood.

Last year #15 would have fake surprise birthday parties and have #9 over and they'd sing and eat cake. This happened several times until #9 didn't want to play along when it wasn't really anybody's birthday, but said they wanted cake anyway and S said what I still consider to be one of the funniest things I've never heard, which was- "No, this cake is only for believers!" I miss that.

My new roommates are very normal. They are girls. Loud , normal, boy-crazy girls. So loud that I haven't slept much this past month and I'm tired most of the time. I miss the zany weirdos I used to have access to all the time. Do any of these new people know who William Powell is, or what a shiv is, or even have 1/78 of the sense of humor that I'm accustomed to being exposed to? Heck no. In short they irritate me, and maybe I'll get used to them, but then again I'm not really sure that I will, because I'm not comfortable being myself around them, and quite frankly they scare me. I hate new places and people. I hate change. Except for dimes. Dimes are pretty awesome.

M-lite and I have discussed building furniture or a garden path out of pennies, which I think would be awesome because over time they'd turn green. I want to use the word patina, but don't know where to place it so I'm just going to throw it out there. Most of all I want to not be in school, but instead make things like lamps and furniture, and M-lite wants to make chandeliers, so I think we're all set. I want to work with my hands. Why is it that people are all engineers and doctors and scientists? Where are the bakers and carpenters and mechanics? I think I've missed the era I was supposed to be born in.

Most days I feel like a 64 year old woman. My knees bother me when I sit and my feet crack when I walk. I've lost some of my height too. I'm some sort of hunchback, and I try to counteract it by sitting up straight, which causes my back to make funny crackings and poppings, which is something that it has never done before now. I've lost an inch and a quarter. I think that inch is lost forever, but if you find that quarter could you return it to me? It's from 1969.

2 comments:

Krista said...

Oh man. People I love include you. And you need to play with me more if your roommates suck. I like you. And my roommate Madam Manatee agrees. So there. Come away, Drafty. Come away to freakin' neverland.

Keith said...

I want to use the word patina, but don't know where to place it so I'm just going to throw it out there

That was great, ye old one. Don't shrink too much or you'll just roll away!