Friday, September 30, 2011

The adequate, forgettable, and occasionally regrettable


An interesting thing about Eugene is that it has streets named after presidents. That's not so uncommon, except Eugene doesn't just have the popular or well known presidents. They've got the standard Lincoln, Jefferson, and Madison to be sure, but they also have people like Hayes, Garfield, and Fillmore represented. My only beef with their system is that the presidential streets aren't in any order. In my mind, it makes the most sense to place them in the order they served, so if you're driving around looking for Harding and you come across Coolidge, you know you've gone too far. I also secretly hoped they'd have more than one street named after Cleveland in honor of his two nonconsecutive terms, but alas, they do not. So, here is a sample of the new improved set-up I am proposing:

Pretty snazzy, right? Also, where a president intersects with the street corresponding to his presidential number, a statue will be erected. That way when you come across a statue of a man stuck in a bathtub you'll know you're at the corner of Taft and 27th. Suggestions on how to pose the other presidential statues to ensure instant recognition are welcome.

4 comments:

Chase said...

Taft!

Audrey said...

This wouldn't help me at all since I don't know the order of the presidents. The thought of a huge statue of Taft stuck in a tub is very amusing....but a little disturbing at the same time.

Ruth said...

Tamsen, I just wanted to let you know that you are hilarious. Also, I miss you :) Hope everything is going well!

Anonymous said...

Yes, Audrey, I don'r\t either, but that's why I would love that system. I would be much better at US historical Trivia if I lived in Tamsen's improved Eugene.