Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Land sakes, her hair's as red as carrots!


As many of you know, I'm a redhead. People often compliment me on my hair, which I think is weird, seeing as how it's something completely out of my control, like my bone structure or shoe size. Usually it's people my own age, but sometimes it's old men who say things like "sure do like that hair of yours Red." The fact is, I haven't done anything to deserve a compliment, so how am I supposed to respond to that? Today as I entered a bathroom on campus a girl came out of a stall and said "Your hair color is truly gorgeous" so I said what I always say. "Thanks. I grew it myself."

After she left I realized I ought to shake things up a bit and come up with a new response. Any ideas? The best one I can think of would be to clutch my head and scream "It's not for sale! Get away from my hair!" and then run out of the room.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think screaming at them would be a bit over the top. Instead you should just kind of glare at them after you deliver your line in an enforcing voice and are clutching your hair. This way you are still in the room to see their reaction to this and then you can decide to let them know that your were just kidding if you think that they might make a good friend someday.

-Fletcher

H2 said...

Say "Thanks I'm sorry I can't say the same for yours" and then smirk.

Lindsey Pedersen said...

I get the same thing, being an ginger myself. I usually say, "Thanks... you can't have it." It's subtle but still lets them know they are being creepy and I need my space.