Sunday, January 31, 2010
Being in a married student ward I'm used to there being plenty of noise during sacrament meeting, what with all the babies that are constantly murmuring, chattering, crying, etc. I put up with it because there's nothing I can do to stop it, but today something happened to make me appreciate children making noise in church. During the last talk we heard a small voice in the congregation say "sh*t". And then this anonymous small child proceeded to repeat the word over and over again to himself every 3 seconds. Clearly, to him it was just a nonsense word, and he had no idea what he was saying, but I just about died trying to keep from laughing.
Posted by Genuine Draft at 4:30 PM
Saturday, January 30, 2010
1. Yesterday I watched Out of Africa, which turned out to be the most boring film ever made, so when there was a particularly slow scene I'd imagine a lion springing out of nowhere and attacking Meryl Streep and Robert Redford. That helped things somewhat. I also watched The Shawshank Redemption, which was just as good as I remembered.
2. We got some gift cards to Home Depot for Christmas so last night we browsed around and picked up some stuff for around the house - energy saver lightbulbs, a new dustpan, that sort of thing. But my favorite purchase was some good quality rags. I realize they're just rags, but having good rags makes a big difference when you're cleaning. I'm excited about them.
3. I'm taking exclusively film classes this semester. This is a lot of film. Too much film as it turns out. I'm taking documentary and non-fiction history, in which he lectures, we watch some shorter clips and then we watch a feature length film. Then I have film history, WWII to the present, in which we get some background lecture before we watch a feature. One night a week I have a transcendence in film class, which is really interesting. We discuss our readings and viewings, and then we watch a feature. I'm also taking screenwriting, in which we do not usually watch a movie, thank goodness. So I watch at least five films in class per week, three on Thursdays alone. Thursdays are long.
4. I finished the promotional film I was making for work, only to have my boss decide that it needed to be subtitled in Chinese the day before he left for China. I do not speak Chinese. It is a miracle that it got finished in time.
5. My W-2 finally came in the mail. I was unemployed for most of last year, but I was still surprised to find that I only paid $13.65 in taxes.